The title does not refer to an old ’80s song (actually, a very good song) by Ultravox but concerns the latest developments of the EU enlargement. Yesterday, the commission released its opinions on enlargement and candidate countries. The state of this complicated “endless love affair” (for candidate countries) can be summarized as follows:
- Croatia: 2013 is the magic number.
- Montenegro: wow, get in! Good boy, homework well done last year. Let’s start with justice however, the easiest thing first, we (the EU) like to keep things simple.
- FYROM/Macedonia: Get ready for our date but with no date darling, my Greek wife is jealous, she cannot listen to your name.
- Iceland: We are warm, you are cold. How does it work?
- Serbia: Yes, maybe. But you know: no Kosovo, yes party.
- Albania: Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly. But.
- Bosnia-Herzegovina: what?
- Kosovo: again, what?
- Turkey: no, thank you. But we (the EU, again) cannot (and do not want to) say that openly. Please, turn more Middle Eastern so we (the EU, again and again) can blame you. Adieu!