I have been writing political and economic risk analyses since 2003. I had my first writing experiences with some Italian websites but my first, relevant experience as a political analyst was with the Power & Interest News Report (PINR), unfortunately off-line nowadays. My publications cover a wide range of regional and theoretical topics, reflecting my academic, intellectual and professional interests of the moment. However, the Mediterranean, the wider Middle East and the European Union have always represented my key, constant research interests. Below you can find a selection of my most relevant publications:
Working Papers/Book Chapters
- “Focus on leaders? Insights from the Algerian experience”, Polish Quarterly of International Affairs, Vol. 22, issue 1.2013.
- (with Riccardo Fabiani) “From Disfunctionality to Disaggregation and Back? The Malian Crisis, Local Players and European Interests”, IAI Working Paper, Istituto Affari Internazionali, Rome, 3/2013
- “Il Cairo ha perso le chiavi del Sinai”, Limes – Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica, No.1, 1/2013, pp. 119-126.
- (with Meryem Akabouch) “Algeria e Marocco: quando il potere ammalia gli Islamisti”, Limes – Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica, No.1, 1/2013, pp. 167-176.
- “Anatomia del Sahara”, Limes – Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica, No.5, 11/2012, pp. 27-38.
- (with Riccardo Fabiani & Ivan Ureta) “Il Sahel dopo Gheddafi”, Limes – Rivista Italiana di Geopolitica, No.5, 11/2012, pp. 191-198.
- (with Riccardo Fabiani) “Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM): Implications for Algeria’s Regional and International Relations”, IAI Working Paper, Istituto Affari Internazionali, Rome, 4/2011
- “Non crolla il Maghreb, ma crolla il Muro”, Risk-Quaderni di Geostrategia No.16, Rome, Jan/Feb 2011, pp.26-33.
- “The Geopolitics of Identities in the Middle East. Networks of Loyalties and States’ Strategies”, in Koscielniak, K. (ed.) Change and Stability. Religion, Nation and State in the Contemporary Middle East, Jagiellonian University Press, Kraków, 2010, pp. 19-34.
- “Living with a Nuclear Mediterranean? Risks and Perspectives for the EU”, New Transnational Security Challenges and Responses, Carrington Papers Series, Chatham House, London, 2010.
Analyses (published on the web)
- Algiers Reshapes Its Foreign Policy Following the In Amenas Attack, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Vol. XI, Issue 2,
- The Zintan Militia and the Fragmented Libyan State, Jamestown Foundation – Hot Issue, 19/1/2012
- Amir of the Southern Sahara: A Fresh Look at AQIM’s Mokhtar Belmokhtar, Jamestown Foundation Militant Leadership Monitor, Vol. II, Issue 12, 12/2011
- Al-Qaeda and Algiers Struggle to Cope with the Implications of the Arab Spring, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Vol. IX, Issue 42, 17/11/2011
- For Profit Jihad: An In-Depth Profile of AQIM’s Abou Zeid, Jamestown Foundation Militant Leadership Monitor, Vol. II, Issue 10, 10/201
- Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb’s Operational Revival in Northern Algeria, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Vol. IX, Issue 36, 22/9/2011
- A New, Greater Impulse In Italian-Kazakh Relations, Jamestown Foundation Eurasia Daily Monitor, Vol. VIII, Issue 165, ) 9/9/2011
- Semtex or Stability? The Conflict in Libya and its Impact on Security in Niger, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Vol. IX. Issue 30, 29/7/2011
- Franco-Algerian Security Rapprochement is Threatened by Divergent Views on Libya, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Vol. IX. Issue 26, 1/7/2011
- Algeria’s Response to the Revolt in Libya, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Vol. IX. Issue 21, 27/5/2011
- Missiles, Money and Migration: The Impact of the Libyan Crisis on the African Sahel, Jamestown Foundation Terrorism Monitor, Volume IX, Issue 15, 14/4/2011
- Iran’s Growing Interests and Influence in Central Asia, World Politics Review, 10/09/2010
- Il ritorno della Turchia nel Golfo Persico, Affari Internazionali, 21/06/2010
- Italy in the Mediterranean: Between Rhetoric and Continuity, World Politics Review, 21/06/2010
- The Dragon’s Increasing Thirst for Oil, Atlantic Community, 16/10/2009
- The A.K.P.’s Complex Victory in Turkey Elections, Power and Interest News Report PINR, 16/08/2007
- Iran, Beijing’s Key to the Middle East, Asia Times, 07/10/2006
*Last Update 26/04/2013